Daniella Allfree and Charlotte Wood reflect on life after darts

Jamie Shaw 16 Aug 2018
Daniella and Charlotte pictured during the World Championship at Alexandra Palace (credit:Lawrence Lustig/PDC)

Former darts walk-on girls Daniella Allfree and Charlotte Wood say they were “privileged” to be involved in the sport and hope to continue their relationship with the fans.

Daniella and Charlotte made their final appearances at a televised tournament during the World Championship before the announcement came in January that walk-on girls were to be axed.

The decision was made following consultation with television broadcasters, though the girls insist they have never been offered a full explanation.

"Watching it on TV brings all the memories back," Charlotte told Live Darts. "We were part of it for so long and we really did get involved.

"We get Tweets from fans all the time asking "Why?" and we can't answer them.

"If we don't know then they don't know.

"Sky and ITV stopped the walk-on girls but then ITV are still showing walk-on girls in a different country.

"We'll never have anything bad said about the job because there's nothing bad to be said about it, it was an amazing job to have."

Daniella, who had been a walk-on girl at major televised events for six years, admits the realisation she is no longer involved in the production finally sunk in during last month's World Matchplay.

She added: "I think personally for me it's got a little bit more sad because I really missed Blackpool actually.

"When that tournament came around I thought 'Oh my gosh'.

"I love the players and it is nice though to be on the other side of the TV and it's a brilliant show still.

"We were privileged to be a part of it and it'll always be dear to us.

"I never thought the decision would be reversed.

"It was incredible to get that kind of support and get the petition up to 50,000 signatures.

"We sacrificed quite a lot for the darts, we did travel around quite a lot with it and it has been nice to sit back and think we're at home a lot more so we can have more normal lives."

The girls remain hugely popular on the exhibition circuit and remain grateful to the thousands of fans who petitioned for the decision to be overturned.

"We didn't expect it to explode the way it did - it was insane," Charlotte added.

"We're still being booked for exhibitions which is nice because we still get to see the fans and players and still be involved in darts even if it's not on TV.

"Even now we talk to players at exhibitions and they're really sad that we're not there."

The girls have announced that their third calendar is to be released on September 1 and both will be participating in the Live Darts PDC Fishing Championship on August 28.



Darts Deals United States
Change Location

*Terms & Conditions apply. Gamble Responsibly. 18+.

Share this with your friends

To:
From:
Your comments:

Daniella Allfree and Charlotte Wood reflect on life after darts

Former darts walk-on girls Daniella Allfree and Charlotte Wood say they were “privileged” to be involved in the sport and hope to continue their relationship with the fans.

Read more »

You have unread messages

You have unread messages